Nagios-users digest, Vol 1 #3076 - 9 msgs

Stanley.Hopcroft at Dest.gov.au Stanley.Hopcroft at Dest.gov.au
Mon Mar 6 07:06:02 CET 2006

Dear Folks,

>Message: 8
>To: Nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
>From: "John R. Daily" <jdaily at apparatus.net>
>Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 19:51:35 -0500
>Subject: [Nagios-users] ePN: notification script
>
>I've been trying to get a Perl script to work as part of the notify-
>by-email command as defined in minimal.cfg, and it's finally dawned
>on me that the RPM package I'm using has the embedded Perl
>interpreter compiled in.
>
>(Is there a replacement for nagios -m in v2.0?  The documentation
>still refers to it, but it doesn't seem to work.)
>
>Anyway, I'm not thrilled about having to deal with ePN for simple
>Perl utilities that aren't plugins, but I figured I could get it to
>work anyway.  However, now I'm less confident.

Give this a try with your Perl alternative to printf.

1 cd into /usr/bin (if RHEL; Nag bin path otherwise).

2 run new_mini_epn from there (the path to p1.pl should be set in the
new_mini_epn binary but is not).

(new_mini_epn has readline support so command line history and edit work
ok.)

eg

[sh1517 at acisf011 bin]$ ./new_mini_epn
plugin command line: /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_rootport -H
10.0.254.168
embedded perl plugin return code and output was: 0 & Ok. No topology
change: root port of 10.0.254.168 has not changed from that expected: 1.
See <a href="http://nms/cgi-bin/display_spanning_tree">Current spanning
tree graph</a>.

[...]

plugin command line: q
embedded perl compiled plugin q with error: **ePN failed to open "q":
"No such file or directory" at p1.pl line 168.
 - skipping plugin
plugin command line:
That's all folks.
[sh1517 at acisf011 bin]$

This is repeatedly running a Perl plugin check_rootport (simulating
reuse by ePN). It will display probs either

1 at compile time (ePN has some funny limits. See the mod_perl docco for
more info).

2 at run time.

Good luck.

Yours sincerely.