ePN: notification script

John R. Daily jdaily at apparatus.net
Mon Mar 6 01:51:35 CET 2006

I've been trying to get a Perl script to work as part of the notify-
by-email command as defined in minimal.cfg, and it's finally dawned
on me that the RPM package I'm using has the embedded Perl
interpreter compiled in.

(Is there a replacement for nagios -m in v2.0?  The documentation
still refers to it, but it doesn't seem to work.)

Anyway, I'm not thrilled about having to deal with ePN for simple
Perl utilities that aren't plugins, but I figured I could get it to
work anyway.  However, now I'm less confident.

Here's the pipeline as originally defined in minimal.cfg:

    /usr/bin/printf ... | /bin/mail -s ...

It's the printf portion of the pipeline that I've been attempting to
replace with a Perl script.  Once I realized that ePN was mucking
things up I hoped that it would be sufficient to exit with an OK
"error", but that was apparently wishful thinking.

Does anyone know what the shortest functional ePN script might be?

John R. Daily
Apparatus, Inc.
912 N. Delaware St.
Indianapolis, IN 46202