Check_oracle

Hans Engelen engelenh at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 10:21:54 CEST 2006

Hi,

actually if you look inside the check_oracle script you will see that it is
trying to determiing the oracle home based on whats in /etc/oratab or
/opt/var/etcoratab (not sure about the last one, have to work from memory
here). Failure to get a valid oracle_home from that it falls back to a
default and hardcoded (in the check_oracle shell script) setting. I just
cannot remember if it uses the oratab method even with an ORACLE_HOME
already being defined.

Also you might want to check permissions on the tnsping binary and for that
matter most of the other stuff installed by the oracle client setup.
Possibly the nagios user (the one running the nagios process) does not have
the right to execute the tnsping binary which, again if memory serves, leads
to the, in this case misleading, no tns listener output. Much of all this
depends on which client version you have installed. Everytime I install a
new one I spend a lot of time figuring out silly little quirks and changes.

Cheers,
Hans