Notifications in a distributed setup

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Jun 22 17:56:08 CEST 2006

I use the standard model myself but my thoughts are that you could build
some simple logic into your notification script on the slave that
determines if it should send a notification or not. For example, part of
the notification routine on the slave could be to check the status of
the master. If the master is available, don't notify. If it isn't
reachable, do send the notification. The same could be done for the
pager notifications. If the number is local (should be an easy
=~/NPA-NXX/ test with perl) send the page locally. For this last test
you'd need to have corresponding test on your master server.

Just off the cuff thoughts but maybe it'll help you think about the
problem differently.

--
Marc