Notifications in a distributed setup

Ton Voon ton.voon at altinity.com
Thu Jun 22 17:38:43 CEST 2006

Hi!

I'm interested in what people have designed for notifications in a
distributed setup. The official line is the master server should
handle all notifications. However, in a geographically disbursed
environment, there are two big advantages of slave notifications:

   - the slave is autonomous - if you lose connection to the master
(whether scheduled or not), you will still get alerts
   - pager notifications are routed locally, thus cost less

However, we're hitting problems because some notifications should be
handled from the master, such as RSS or helpdesk integration. The
only comms we allow from the slave to the master is NSCA.

Has anyone solved this? Or is this why the docs recommend master
notifications?

Ton

http://www.altinity.com
T: +44 (0)870 787 9243