Nagios Distributed Monitoring

Thomas Sluyter nagios at kilala.nl
Wed Jun 21 14:45:57 CEST 2006

On 21 Jun, 2006, at 14:37, <narendran.neelamegam at wipro.com>
<narendran.neelamegam at wipro.com> wrote:

> We are looking at a solution to Monitor three datacentre which are
> located geographically apart.

Actually,

We just had a discussion about this a few days ago.. I guess you
joined the list quite recently.

Anywho:
* The book "Pro Nagios 2.0" has a chapter on redundancy which
explains some good ideas.
* The basic principle is that you build clusters, where each node has
the same Nagios config.
* One node is the primary, which performs all the checks
* The secondaries are running, but not active (no checks/
notifications/whatever)
* The primary forwards status messages to the secondaries through NSCA.

Of course you'll need a way to keep the configs in sync and the
solution is not perfect, but it's a start.

A better idea entirely would be to use clustering software and shared
storage for the config and status files.

Cheers,

Thomas