check_snmp_mem.pl plugin snmp error

Friedrich Clausen fred at derf.nl
Thu Jun 15 17:12:35 CEST 2006

Hello,

>> I am trying to run the following command
>>
>> ./check_snmp_mem.pl -H 172.20.3.1 -C public -w 90,90 -c 95,95
>>
>> i am getting the following error
>>
>> *ERROR: netsnmp : Received noSuchName(2) error-status at error-index 4.*

It sounds like you are querying the SNMP server for an OID that you have
not exposed to be viewed by the read only snmp v1 user. Make sure the
following two lines exist (and look the same) in your snmpd.conf:

view  all  included      .1
access notConfigGroup "" any noauth exact  all    none   none
                                            ^^^
			       note "all" must be present

> If you have to use the older version 1 or 2 snmp then I suggest changing
> the community string to something more difficult. Also, rememeber to
> only allow the configuration to be read-only. The most recent version of
> snmp supports v3, which allows some form of encryption to take place
> with changes of information.

Yes, the above advice is important. If your application support it, then
definitely try and use SNMPv3.

Regards,

Fred.