check_snmp_mem.pl plugin snmp error

Max H. btmanmeh at verizon.net
Thu Jun 15 16:29:36 CEST 2006

Radhika wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying configure the snmp server in my debian linux server to
> monitor memory,disk and cpu usage i have installed using the following
>
> #apt-get install snmpd
>
> I have not chaned any community all are default settings.Now i am trying
> to run the memory usage plug in using snmp i have down loaded from the
> below link
>
> http://www.manubulon.com/nagios/snmp_mem.html
>
> I am trying to run the following command
>
> ./check_snmp_mem.pl -H 172.20.3.1 -C public -w 90,90 -c 95,95
>
> i am getting the following error
>
> *ERROR: netsnmp : Received noSuchName(2) error-status at error-index 4.*

I'm not sure if you ever got a reply or not, because I received an error
about it sending yesterday, so I'll re-post.

You do have the configuration file snmpd.conf set up to have a read-only
community name of public, right? It would look like in snmpd.conf. I'm
not sure where Debian stores this, but in RHEL it's /etc/snmpd.conf.

rocommunity public

Also, is the service turned on and starting ok on the host, snmpd that
is? Again, I'm not sure of the Debian commands, but on RHEL it would be
service snmpd start and chkconfig snmpd on to make sure it starts on boot.

Be careful posting your live IP address out in the open especially when
you might have a read-write setup installed on the snmp host by
accident. Others could do things to your server then.

If you have to use the older version 1 or 2 snmp then I suggest changing
the community string to something more difficult. Also, rememeber to
only allow the configuration to be read-only. The most recent version of
snmp supports v3, which allows some form of encryption to take place
with changes of information.

Max