Connecting NRPE_NT and NSClient++

Thomas Slutyer nagios at kilala.nl
Tue Jun 13 20:46:03 CEST 2006

On 13 Jun, 2006, at 20:07, Pavleck, Jeremy D. wrote:

> As for your question - I might not be reading it right, but you use
> check_nt for NSClient checks with nagios, it's part of the plugin
> package.

As Jeremy started explaining: NRPEnt and NSClient are two separate
pieces of kit that you can use separately. They don't work together...

You use check_nrpe to talk to NRPEnt (which is what I prefer), or you
use check_nt to talk to the NSClient service.
* NRPEnt makes use of a config file similar to nrpe.cfg on UNIX to
define the various commands.
* NSClients makes use of a bunch of OS internal counters.

It may not be much, but here's a "manual" I wrote for one of my
previous clients to explain the difference between the two. It's been
cleaned up so I won't be breaking any NDAs and such, but that mostly
involves the installation instructions.

Cheers!

Thomas