shutting down machines with Nagios

Az az at whoever.org
Fri Jun 9 15:01:31 CEST 2006

Johnston Michael J Contr AFRL/DES wrote:
> We've recently had a problem with heat in a server room.  I got messages
> that the room was overheating, but by the time I got there the room was
> really hot and all the machines were running.
I'd take a step back and look at why the room was overheating.
Monitoring ambient room temperature isn't fool proof. I'd be looking for
a way to monitor the aircon kit itself. Most environmental monitoring
systems have dry contact features as well as temp/humidity. Some high
end aircon units have monitoring built in (eg APC FM40). You could
probably build an air flow dry contact type of trigger... or have some
relays installed in your air con tied to the fans and/or compressors. Or
you chould just measure the air temp just inside your air con ducts.
That temperature drop on a failure is more sudden than ambient room temp
changes.

Knowing the roof temp in your data centre has gone up 5 degrees is all
good and well, but the start of the problem might have started 5..10..15
minutes ago. That's time you can't get back to address the real issue. :)