check_icmp gives "failed to resolve"

Pete Siemsen siemsen at ucar.edu
Fri Jun 9 00:08:41 CEST 2006

According to the book "Nagios: System and Network Monitoring" by
Wolfgang Barth, check_icmp is supposed to be a drop-in replacement
for check_ping.  I had trouble making it work.  I've cc'd Wolfgang
and the author of check_ping.  Thanks, guys!

I run Nagios 2.4 with the 1.4.3 plugins on a Debian 3.1 system.
Things were working fine with check_ping.  I bought Wolfgang's book
and decided to try using check_icmp instead of check_ping.  I
replaced all occurrences of "check_ping" with "check_icmp" in my
config files.  I restarted Nagios and immediately got lots of errors
like these in my logs:

[1149802932] SERVICE ALERT: fileserver;PING;UNKNOWN;HARD;
2;check_icmp: Failed to resolve }

The errors seem to appear only for hosts with minor DNS issues.  It
seems that I got the error for any host with an "address" in the
Nagios config files that didn't DNS reverse-resolve to the
"host_name" in the config files.  I dramatically reduced the number
of errors just by defining more domains in the "search" line in my /
etc/resolv.conf.  This didn't take care of all the problems, though.
I have host interfaces with DNS names like, "router1-eth4" but I want
Nagios to represent the device as "router1".

My command definition invokes check_icmp with $HOSTADDRESS$, not
$HOSTNAME$, so why does check_icmp use DNS at all?

-- Pete