Monitoring connectivity between 2 servers

John P. Rouillard rouilj at cs.umb.edu
Wed Jun 7 17:16:46 CEST 2006

In message <448FFDE0D1EE1049A1208C682C0E475C0397D236 at WMDATA-EXCL4.netti.infra.p
osti.fi>,
"Arenas Alvaro" writes:

>I want to monitor the connectivity between two servers and inform the
>results with Nagios. The test involes testing if the server A is
>reacheble from server C and vice versa. I also need some statistics like
>the RTT. Nagios will run in another seperate server (C). All of them are
>linux machines.
>
>I thought I can use the check_ping in server B to test the connectivity
>with A. As check_ping has to be executed on the server from which the
>test will be performed, I could use another plugin that allows the
>execution of plugins in remote hosts. (right now I don't remember the
>name of it, but I know that exists)

Check_by_ssh is what I use, and I have exactly what you describe setup
to check the VPN gateway mesh from the VPN endpoints.

So vpn1 pings vpn2-5, vpn2 pings 1,3-5 vpn3 pings vpn1-2,4-5
etc. Works fine.

				-- rouilj
John Rouillard