plug timeout w/o Bind

Derek Olsen derek.olsen at qsent.com
Fri Jul 28 19:07:59 CEST 2006

   David.
   What I've done because I like to use hostname's in my configs instead
of ip addresses.
   1.  Create a monitor using the check_dns plugin which queries the dns
server directly by IP address attempting to resolve 1 host in my DNS
records.
   2.   Setup a master dependency that every service relies on.  So if
my DNS service goes into a warning/critical/unknown state none of my
other  serfvices will execute.

   Anyhoo this has worked for me in my particular environment pretty
well.   In your situation you could setup an check_dns service for each
of your nameserver entries in your resolv.conf.   Anyhoo this may not
address your specific needs but I thought i'd share.

    Deet.