plug timeout w/o Bind

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Jul 28 17:31:27 CEST 2006

My comments --

- Don't rely on DNS at all. Use IP addresses. Why require a critical
infrastructure resource (monitoring) to depend on another potentially
fallable infrastructure resource (DNS) when you don't have to? If you
have a problem, how do you know if it's the device/service you are
monitoring or your DNS? Why spend the time determining that when you can
eliminate it as a factor?

- If you must rely on DNS then the only actions you can really take are
	- increase your timeout value to account for those times when
one or more of your DNS servers are unavailable.
	- load balance your nameservers such that a group answers for
the same IP. If one fails out the others will still answer. There are a
number of ways to do this with hardware/software or network
configuration.

- Running bind on the nagios box just moves the point of failure rather
than eliminating it.

--
Marc