Problem with remote monitoring using NSCA

Rob Ristroph rgr at sdf.lonestar.org
Tue Jul 25 21:01:57 CEST 2006

Hi,

        I have nagios installed on two Debian machines.  Both are
        Debian testing, and both have nagios and nsca installed from
        the Debian packages.   One of them is version 2.2 and other is
        version 2.4 (one was installed a little before the other).

        I have been trying to get the 2.2 one to send it's results to
        the other, following these instructions:

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/distributed.html

        I think I have followed the instructions.  (The define command
        for submit_check_result on that page needs to have $OTUPUT$
        replaced by $SERVICEOUTPUT$ to work, BTW -- someone should
        correct that.)  The end result is, that on the receiving
        nagios -- the one that is the "master" or "server" however you
        want to put it -- the remote host is listed as having failed
        services, even though the messages from the remote are coming
        in, and the remote services are not failed.

        One issue I wasn't sure of was how to disable active checks of
        the services when they are defined on the server.  I disabled
        them for all of nagios on the server, and then re-enabled them
        when that didn't make a difference.

        Here is a section from the /var/log/syslog on the receiving
        nagios, that shows the incoming message (I x'd out my IP's and
        domain names):

==================
Jul 25 12:05:39 rgristroph-austin nsca[22836]: Connection from xxx.xx.xx.xx port 36518
Jul 25 12:05:39 rgristroph-austin nsca[22836]: Handling the connection...
Jul 25 12:05:40 rgristroph-austin nsca[22836]: SERVICE CHECK -> Host Name: 'xxxxx.org', Service Description: 'Tomcat Process', Return Code: '0', Output: 'PROCS OK: 1 process with command name java, args org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap'
Jul 25 12:05:40 rgristroph-austin nsca[22836]: End of connection...
Jul 25 12:05:59 rgristroph-austin nsca[22837]: Connection from xxx.xx.xx.xx port 37030
Jul 25 12:05:59 rgristroph-austin nsca[22837]: Handling the connection...
Jul 25 12:06:00 rgristroph-austin nsca[22837]: SERVICE CHECK -> Host Name: 'localhost', Service Description: 'HTTP', Return Code: '0', Output: 'HTTP OK HTTP/1.1 200 OK - 8074 bytes in 0.015 seconds'
Jul 25 12:06:00 rgristroph-austin nsca[22837]: End of connection...
==================

        On the sending nagios there are not any clues in the logs that
        I can see.  Occasionally there is a timeout message from
        send_nsca ( from when the receiving host is down, I think ).

        I have attached a tar file of my configs, in hopes someone
        might unpack them and take a look.  When you unpack it there
        will be two directories, one for the client, one for the
        server nagios.

        I appreciate any help anyone can offer -- I seem to have run
        up against a brick wall on this one, and will try anything.

        If I should not be using nsca but nrpe instead, let me know --
        I decided on nsca because it sounded like nrpe involved
        sending code to be run or interpretted to the other machine,
        which seemed like a security risk.

--Rob

--
http://rgr.freeshell.org/