Need documention for hosts configuration

Denny Schierz cuall at gmx.de
Sat Jul 22 10:33:28 CEST 2006

hi,

i'm glad to getting nagios 2.5 working with nrpe too. Now i'am writing a
 howto on a german wiki.
My problem is, that the documention from nagios (html 2.x on the
website) is poorly written, meaning it has a bad structure and i need
much time to find, what i searching for.

So, to let me and my readers understand, what for options are possible
in the "hosts config", like in the minimal.cfg i want to write it down,
on examples. Most things are selfexplained but, some not. Can somebody
write a few lines, about the following lines, or show me the right part
from the offi. docu. on the nagios website?

        max_check_attempts      10
        notification_interval   120
        notification_options    d,r

        is_volatile                     0
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  admins
	notification_options		w,u,c,r
        notification_interval           960
	check_command			check_ping!100.0,20%!500.0,60%

on these last line, i don't know, where i have o set a "!" for example
from the dns_check:

./check_dns -H heise.de -s 192.168.1.1
DNS OK: 0.018 seconds response time. heise.de returns
193.99.144.80|time=0.017630s;;;0.000000

so looks the line from the bash, but i wrote something as command and
expecting, that it is wrong:

define command{
        command_name check-resolv-dns
        command_line    $USER1$/check_dns -H www.heise.de -s $HOSTADDRESS$
        }

define service{
        use                             generic-service         ; Name
of service template to use
        host_name                       win2k3
        service_description             DNS_resolv
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           2
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  admins
        notification_interval           240
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            w,u,c,r
        check_command                   check_dns!heise.de
        }

i know, i have had it hardcoded, but check_dns resolv the address from
the yahoo server, not heise.de ...

So, if somebody can explain my mistakes, i can writing a good howto :-)

cu denny