config files and upograding

Miles O'Neal meo at intrinsity.com
Tue Jul 18 21:05:27 CEST 2006

Marc Powell replied to me:

|> We've been running 1.2 pretty much since it came out.
|> I'd liike to try a 2.x version, but nowhere am I
|> finding anything about config file changes.  Can I
|
|http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/whatsnew.html

Joerg Linge also recommended that page.  It's OK,
but it's not as clear as it might be.  They reference
extensive, mandatory rework of config files because of
macro changes, but after digging, it doesn't seem there
is that much to do.  It also looks like some of the
changes they reference actually apply to earlier
versions, at least based on what they say on that page.

|> just start with the 1.2 config files and have it work?
|
|With only minor modifications. Some macro names have changed and moving
|contact_group definitions from the hostgroup{} to the host{} definitions
|was pretty much all I needed to do here but I have a pretty simple
|config.

OK, so probably minimal changes for me, a half hour
to an hour.  Not too painful-- but I can't tell if
it's worth it. [1]

One thing that would make it worth it is an easy
way to set up a class of dependencies.  I have over
200 hosts and 1100+ services.  I'd like to set it
up so that if a system is down, I don't get notified
about every service.  If a switch is down, I don't
want to get notified about every subswitch, much less
every node on each of those switches.  Looking at the
1.2 docs, this looks like a *lot* of configuration.

Looking through the changelog, though, dependency
wildcards showed up earlier than 1.2.  Are they there
in 1.2?  Is it just not in the top level dependancy doc?
Would the 2.0 service groups help me do that more easily?
That would be a compelling reason to switch!

Thanks,
Miles

[1] I was a software developer for years.  One thing
    I learned is that you never break a feature without
    being able to explain to the customer why the new
    version is much more beneficial than the old.  You
    always assume the customer resists change.  As a
    sysadmin doing the job of two sysadmins for now,
    I can guarantee you I need to see a big benefit to
    spend even an hour on an upgrade.