jabber plugin returning critical when server up

Hari Sekhon harisekhon at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 13:21:26 CEST 2006

On 05/07/06, Hari Sekhon <harisekhon at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to use the jabber plug-in but the service is returning
> critical even though the service is up and I can log in and use it.
>
> /usr/nagios/libexec/check_jabber -H servername
> CRITICAL - Cannot make  SSL connection 19034:error:140770FC:SSL
> routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown protocol:s23_clnt.c:601:
>

> I don't get it, the server isn't using SSL, so perhaps this is why it
> fails, but shouldn't you be able to test it when running without an SSL
> connection? Gaim finds the port and connects fine...
>

> the --help mentions that the flag -S makes it use an SSL connection but
> I never put this flag in, so it should be using a normal connection,
> shouldn't it? When I put the -S flag in it returns the same as above.
>
> Jabber is using the default ports of 5222 for the straight tcp
> connection without ssl, and 5269 for the server connection and both
> ports are currently bound correctly and the service is working.
>

> Any ideas?
>
> Is the check_jabber plug-in broken?
>
> -h

The check_jabber plugin appears to be broken, it's linked to check_tcp
but it tries to use SSL which fails since my server isn't using SSL,
despite jabber being up and working.

So I wrote a checkcommand for jabber with the standard check_tcp plugin.

Does anybody have a better way of testing jabber? Perhaps a decent
plugin or a command line tool that I can wrap in a shell script or
something?

-h