jabber plugin returning critical when server up

Hari Sekhon harisekhon at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 14:02:02 CEST 2006

I'm trying to use the jabber plug-in but the service is returning
critical even though the service is up and I can log in and use it.

/usr/nagios/libexec/check_jabber -H servername
CRITICAL - Cannot make  SSL connection 19034:error:140770FC:SSL
routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown protocol:s23_clnt.c:601:

I don't get it, the server isn't using SSL, so perhaps this is why it
fails, but shouldn't you be able to test it when running without an SSL
connection? Gaim finds the port and connects fine...

the --help mentions that the flag -S makes it use an SSL connection but
I never put this flag in, so it should be using a normal connection,
shouldn't it? When I put the -S flag in it returns the same as above.

Jabber is using the default ports of 5222 for the straight tcp
connection without ssl, and 5269 for the server connection and both
ports are currently bound correctly and the service is working.

Any ideas?

Is the check_jabber plug-in broken?

-h