check_rpc returns Unknown "Program -H is notdefined"

Scott Dungan scott at gps.caltech.edu
Sat Jul 8 22:55:04 CEST 2006

John Daily wrote:

> If you look at the Perl code (at least for the latest version of the
> plugin), that error message can only result when the code thinks that
> -H is being passed as an argument (not a switch), or as the argument
> to -C.
>
> I tried various broken invocations to reproduce your problem, but I
> couldn't.  Are you using the latest version of the plugin?
>
> My version:   check_rpc (nagios-plugins 1.4.2) 1.8
>
> It's extremely frustrating that there's no simple way to view the
> exact command being invoked by nagios.  It would seem likely that
> there's a spurious character or something else weird about the way
> it's being invoked.
>
> -John

The version is 1.8:

# check_rpc plugin for nagios
#
# usage:
#    check_rpc host service
#
# Check if an rpc serice is registered and running
# using rpcinfo - $proto $host $prognum 2>&1 |";
#
# Use these hosts.cfg entries as examples
#
# command[check_nfs]=/some/path/libexec/check_rpc $HOSTADDRESS$ nfs
# service[check_nfs]=NFS;24x7;3;5;5;unix-admin;60;24x7;1;1;1;;check_rpc
#
# initial version: 3 May 2000 by Truongchinh Nguyen and Karl DeBisschop
# Modified May 2002 Subhendu Ghosh - support for ePN and patches
# current status: $Revision: 1.8

Curiously, if you look at the examples that the author includes for the
checkcommand, you'll see that he does not include the -H for
$HOSTADDRESS$. I have tried this but I get a usage error:

Usage:
 check_rpc -H host -C rpc_command [-p port] [-c program_version] [-u|-t]
[-v]
 check_rpc [-h | --help]
 check_rpc [-V | --version]

Perhaps I'll try replacing the plugin, but by my logic that should not
make a difference.

-Scott