NRPE with ESX 2.5.2

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Jan 30 22:36:19 CET 2006

> has anybody experience in testing a ESX 2.5.2 with nrpe ?
> What kind of rpm package do I need ?
> Is it stable ?
> Is it supported by VMWARE ? Or do they make stress when a
> nrpe is on the system ?

We haven't actually used NRPE with our ESX servers, as it did not seem to be
necessary.

We have a Nagios plugin for monitoring ESX-related things (available on
nagiosexchange.org) that works via SNMP.

We use the SNMP agent for standard OS monitoring, including filesystem - ESX
is based on linux and so has a very functional SNMP agent indeed.

Individual guestOSs are monitored via NRPE or pNSclient directly.

Although I see no reason why NRPE should not work under ESX, I would
strongly advise you to keep things as clean as possible and just use SNMP.

Steve