single notification contact

Marc DeTrano marc at gridshield.net
Fri Jan 27 16:46:43 CET 2006

Sorry if this is too little too late, but I have a real-life Nagios
system which does start issues in a tracking system when a host goes
down (via email).  Here is a quick rundown of my solution (which may be
extended to services):

I have a command def. like this:

define command{
        command_name    host-mail-to-tracker
        command_line    [ $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ = "PROBLEM" ] &&
/usr/bin/printf "%b" "{a bunch of stuff for the content}" | /bin/mail -s
"{a bunch of stuff for the issue heading}" $CONTACTEMAIL$
        }

..a contact def. like this:
define contact {
        contact_name                            tracker
        alias                                          Tracker Contact
        email                                         {email address
needed to start a an issue}
        service_notification_options    w,c
        host_notification_options         d
        host_notification_commands      host-mail-to-tracker

        ... {whatever else goes here}
}

This contact is setup in the contactgroup "trackers"

In my case, I do not start an issue right away--I give it 5 minutes then
use a hostescalation like this:

define hostescalation {
        hostgroup_name       {hosts to be tracked in system}
        first_notification      2
        last_notification       2
        contact_groups         trackers
}

--but you could make that the first notification, 5th notification,
whatever.

The only problem with carrying this over to services is that you have to
start issues for both warning and critical states.  I have not found a
slick way to find out if a notification is the "First Critical".  If
*any* Problem state warrants an issue, you would be fine extending this
concept to services.

Marc