Check more than one service

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Thu Jan 19 23:29:17 CET 2006

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, dererk wrote:

> New using this great soft, I've read lightly documentation, and It seems
> I've had problems adding more than one service check to a host. For
> Example, check_smtp and check_pop.
> If I declare only one of them on hosts.cfg, It works fine.

As it is intended. You are mixing up the service cheks with the host
check.

You can run many services on a host but can define only 1 check to
determine if the host is up or not.

The common check to see if a host is up is:
        check_command           check-host-alive

You can have only 1 check_command per definition. So you need to repeat
the definitions like:

define service{
        use                             generic-service         ; Name of
service template to use
        host_name                       aragorn
        service_description             HTTP
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        check_freshness                 1       ; Default is to NOT check
service 'freshness'
        max_check_attempts              4
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  admins
        notification_interval           1440
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            w,c,r
        check_command
check_http_url!aragorn!/icons/powered_by_fedora.png
        }

define service{
        use                             generic-service         ; Name of
service template to use
        host_name                       aragorn
        service_description             SSH
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              4
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  admins
        notification_interval           1440
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            w,c,r
        check_command                   check_ssh
        }

Hugo.