I can't seem to enable state retention file option...

Artur D'Assumpção artur.dassumpcao at di.com.pt
Tue Jan 17 13:52:39 CET 2006

Hi,

I'm trying to enable the state retention option and I can't seem to find
a way to make it work right.

I am working with nagios 2.0rc1 and I have the following options active
in nagios.cfg

# enable retain state information
retain_state_information=1

# state retention file
state_retention_file=/var/nagios/status.sav

# only save information while stopping/restarting service
retention_update_interval=0

# retain program state
use_retained_program_state=1

# retain scheduling info state
use_retained_scheduling_info=1

Doing some tests i've verified the following situation:

- with nagios stoped I delete /var/nagios/status.sav and
/var/nagios/objects.cache
- when I start nagios I see both files being created, altough status.sav
with size = 0 (as expected I think)
- after a while, letting hosts/service states to settle,  I stop nagios
and status.sav has indeed alot of information inside. Inspecting more
carefully the contents of the file I can confirm that the states for the
hosts/services i've checked, correspond to what i've observed in the
interface previously. So I assume this is correct too..

-rw-------   1 nagios nagios 2086404 Jan 17 12:46 status.sav

- anyhow, when I start nagios, all host/service are back in PENDING state

I've tried different state retention configurations, but I cant seem to
make it work.

Thanks for your attention,

Artur D'Assumpção