Dependency issue

John P. Rouillard rouilj at cs.umb.edu
Mon Jan 9 18:41:32 CET 2006

In message <A61062A3CA04594180C8AAD1B06F6C25B27471 at kogex01.pmpl.co.uk>,
Deborah Martin writes:
>It seems that its very dependent on when the next scheduled check will be.
>If I set max_check_attempts to 5 for services
>B or C, and then have max_check_attempts set to 1 on service A, it makes no
>difference. Service B or C could still
>be scheduled to be checked before service A. In fact, on the first check
>attempt for service B, for example, a critical
>alert is generated.
>
>I want Nagios to detect that Service B or C is a dependency on Service A,
>and then if Service A is alerting, suppress alerts for Service B or C.
>But nagios doesn't seem to do any kind of dependency lookup if a dependency
>is already alerting. Kind of defeats, in my view, the logic
>of dependencies. There is no point in Nagios telling me that Service B or C
>is down, when Service A is down. Service A must be UP for any of its
>dependencies to work.
>
>If however, Service A is OK, then yes - Service B or C should alert if
>necessary.
>
>If I were to have 20 dependencies against a master service, I don't want 20
>potential alerts being generated! Plus I want to know the EXACT cause of the
>problem not have to hunt it down every time. Isn't that one of the points of
>Nagios - to be able to finely tune plugin checks so that we can
>easily investigate a problem ? It seems that I needn't bother with
>dependencies if this is how it's going to work.
>
>Does anyone else agree / disagree because it seems to me that either the
>docs are not explaining dependencies correctly, or Nagios
>is not behaving correctly. I would appreciate feedback on this issue.

Try reading the nagios docs on soft_state_dependencies. Then setting

   soft_state_dependencies=1

in nagios.cfg.

If A depends on B (aka no alert on A when B in trouble) make sure that:

   retry_check_interval(A) * max_check_attempts(A) >
       normal_check_interval(B)

That should guarantee that at least one check of B occurs during the
trouble interval for A. Without the soft_state_dependencies you must use:

   retry_check_interval(A) * max_check_attempts(A) >
       normal_check_interval(B) +
       (retry_check_interval(B) * max_check_attempts(B))

to make sure that B goes into a hard state during the trouble interval
of A.

				-- rouilj
John Rouillard