Alert messages as files?

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Mon Feb 27 21:06:26 CET 2006

Many people already do this by making their notification commands a
custom script instead of using /bin/mail[x] directly, passing the
necessary macros as command line options. The sample notification
commands are just that, samples. They get the job done in most cases but
can be enhanced or replaced as needed by more advanced users.

> It occurred to me that one relatively straightforward solution would
> be to define an external helper that could parse alert files, looking
> for macro invocations and replacing the values with data from the
> NAGIOS_ environment variables.
>
> Rather than reinvent the wheel: are there any such tools floating
> around in the Nagios ecosystem?

None that I am aware of that are public/OSS. Reliable Response's product
may do something similar as part of it's bag of tricks.

> Alternatively, is anyone aware of a good reason to not take this
> approach?

It should be fine. Macros as environment variables is a new feature with
2.0 and I don't recall anyone specifically saying they're using them or
having problems with them so YMMV. I'll probably start using them in the
future as we transition to 2.0.

--
Marc