checklog.pl notifications get sent despite 'enable_notifications = 0'

tomvo at absi.be tomvo at absi.be
Thu Feb 23 11:48:21 CET 2006

Hi,

We've noticed several times that notifications from matched entries in
logfiles (via checklog.pl) are being sent hours / days after they were
written in the logfiles, and sometimes even in a time window when we had
disabled notifications.

example:

at 21/2/06, 22:00h, i stop nagios, change nagios.cfg with
'enable_notifications = 0', and restart nagios
at 21/2/06, 23:00h entries are written in a monitored logfile that match
one of our checks
at 22/2/06, 01:00h we change enable_notifications = 1 and restart nagios.

and then, surprise, at 23/2/06 07:50h we get notifications not only for
entries that occurred between 21/2/06 22:00h and 22/2/06, 01:00h, but also
for an event that occurred at 22/2/06, 06:30h

nagios is 2.0b2

the checklog.pl version is: checklog.pl (nagios-plugins 1.4.0alpha1) 1.1
on solaris9 sparc.

this is the definition of the check:

define service{
        use                             generic-service         ; Name of
service template to use
        host_name                       jescal
        service_description             chk-msg-Cluster.RG_OFFLINE
        max_check_attempts              1
        contact_groups                  solaris-admins
        notification_options            w,u,c
        check_command
check_nrpe!check_logpl!/var/adm/messages!/var/tmp/message.Cluster!"RG_OFFLINE"
        }

define service{
        name                            generic-service ; The 'name' of
this service template, referenced in other service def
        active_checks_enabled           1       ; Active service checks
are enabled
        passive_checks_enabled          1       ; Passive service checks
are enabled/accepted
        parallelize_check               1       ; Active service checks
should be parallelized (disabling this can lead to maj
        obsess_over_service             1       ; We should obsess over
this service (if necessary)
        check_freshness                 0       ; Default is to NOT check
service 'freshness'
        notifications_enabled           1       ; Service notifications
are enabled
        event_handler_enabled           1       ; Service event handler is
enabled
        flap_detection_enabled          1       ; Flap detection is
enabled
        process_perf_data               1       ; Process performance data
        retain_status_information       1       ; Retain status
information across program restarts
        retain_nonstatus_information    1       ; Retain non-status
information across program restarts
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            1
        notification_interval           0
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            w,u,c,r

        register                        0       ; DONT REGISTER THIS
DEFINITION - ITS NOT A REAL SERVICE, JUST A TEMPLATE!
        }

any ideas ?

tom.