Internal Server Error on Nagios 2.0

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 17:19:04 CET 2006

> I recently tried to fire up a new Nagios server running on RedHat 4
> Enterprise (fully patched).  Everything works fine, pre-flight passed, http
> is correct, web page displays; however, whenever I access a CGI link on the
> left hand page I get the following error:
> "Internal Server Error
>  The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable
> to complete your request.
>  Please contact the server administrator, root at localhost and inform them of
> the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have
> caused the error.
>  More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
> I have tried and tried to troubleshoot the problem but have had no success.
> 1.      I have searched the forums, google and apache.  It appears this is a
> common problem across many Linux platforms
> 2.      I have chmod 777 /usr/local/nagios permissions fully with no success
> and added every userID I could like of to the group.
> 3.      I have even tried a default configuration with one host, a check
> ping and along with all the sample configs.  The problem still occurs.
> 4.      I have verified my http conf and tried all types of suggestions I
> found during my searches.
> My http config error log displays the following:
> Tue Feb 21 10:43:50 2006] [error] [client 10.1.7.200] Premature end of
> script headers: status
> .cgi, referer: http://servername/nagios//side.html
> I am currently running Nagios version 1.1 with no issues.  This really looks
> like an incompatibility with Apache or CGI or something?  Anyone have any
> ideas – I am flat out?

Your permissions or authentication via website is not correct
(REMOTE_USER isn't being set). For RHEL systems, using the rpms
provided by dag make things much easier, as the permissions etc are
done for you. All you're left doing is adding users to the web
authentication setup he provides and configuring services, or changing
his auth to whatever auth system you use in your env. They work very
well.

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety''
Benjamin Franklin 1775