CHECK_NRPE: Socket timeout after 10 seconds.

Jason Gauthier post.scriptum at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 14:44:05 CET 2006

So we've installed the latest version of "nrpe" on a server (normal
configuration). Then we installed "nrpe_nt" on a windows 2003 server machine
and it works fine. We're also trying to run "nrpe" (for hosts) as a
standalone deamon on a linux machine but we've compiled it without SSL
(mainly because it wouldn't allow use to compile it, even with openssl
(missing libraries)... so we're running the standalone deamon with the -n
option).
When we installed the 2.3 version, I was kinda surprised that the
"allowed_hosts" command in the config file didn't work anymore and we also
got that error : "CHECK_NRPE: Socket timeout after 10 seconds.", so we
thought it had something to do with the "allowed_hosts" command in the
config file. We were also getting an error in the "/var/log/messages" file
saying : "(date) slxids nrpe[9493]: Could not read request from client,
bailing out...".
So we deleted the newest version and installed the 2.0 version of NRPE
(without SSL again). So the "allowed_hosts" command is back, but the -n
option when we lauch nrpe as a standalone deamon isn't there anymore... and
we're still getting the same errors.

Anybody has an idea of what's going on? Is it because of SSL?