check_http problems

Julie S. Lin jlin at myvest.com
Wed Feb 15 19:54:23 CET 2006

Hi

i wish to enable check_http monitoring for my webmail server under
nagios 1.2 but
i get the following failure ..
[1140027855] SERVICE ALERT:
mail.myvest.com;HTTP;CRITICAL;SOFT;2;Connection refused by host
[1140027915] SERVICE ALERT:
mail.myvest.com;HTTP;CRITICAL;HARD;3;Connection refused by host

here is my services.cfg entry
define service{
       host_name                       ns1, mail.myvest.com
       service_description             HTTP
       is_volatile                     0
       check_period                    24x7
       max_check_attempts              3
       normal_check_interval           3
       retry_check_interval            1
       contact_groups                  admin
       notification_interval           120
       notification_period             24x7
       notification_options            w,u,c,r
       check_command                   check_http
       }

here is my checkcommands.cfg entry (pretty default)
# 'check_http' command definition
define command{
       command_name    check_http
       command_line    $USER1$/check_http -H $HOSTADDRESS$
       }

HOWEVER, here's the kicker, and why I'm asking for a little nudge in the
right direction ..when I manually run the check it works! Any advice
would be
greatly appreciated.

[root at nagios plugins]# ./check_http -H mail.myvest.com
HTTP ok: HTTP/1.1 200 OK -   0.003 second response time |time=  0.003

i can do it as any user and it works. and the ns1 http check is working
fine.