Upgrade from 1.1 to 2.0rc2 Changes Service Checks

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Feb 8 21:56:38 CET 2006

Checks

> I have been running custom check_nt and check_snmp commands in my
services
> files as each instance is different.  However now that I am moving to
> version 2.0rc2 I keeping getting the following error on the pre-flight
> check:
>
> Error: Service check command '"/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nt'
> specified in service 'Service States' for host 'server1' not defined
> anywhere!
>
> The new build of Nagios is a fresh install on a separate server.  If I
run
> check_nt or check_snmp from a terminal command line the check runs
fine.
> Did something check in the new version that changed the way
check_commands
> work?  It appears that anything I set with a custom check command is
> failing but everything else that has a direct reference in the
> checkcommands.cfg file works.

It's not listed in the What's New page but 'Raw Command Line' support is
no longer listed as a possible argument to check_command in the 2.0
documentation.

Previously --

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/xodtemplate.html#service

check_command: 	This is the command that Nagios will run in order to
check the status of the service. There are three command formats that
can be used:

1. "Vanilla" Command: 	The command name is just the name of command
that was previously defined.
2. Command w/ Arguments: 	This is basically the same as the
"vanilla" command style, but with command options separated by a !
character. The example above uses this type of definition. Command
arguments are placed into $ARGx$ macros before the command is executed.
In the example above, the $ARG1$ macro would resolve to "/dev/sda1"
(without quotes).
3. "Raw" Command Line: 	You may optionally specify an actual command
line to be executed. To do so you must enclose the entire command line
in double quotes. The outer double quotes will be stripped off before
the command is actually executed. No macros are processed inside of raw
command lines.
The maximum amount of time that the service check command can run is
controlled by the service_check_timeout option.

2.0 --

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/xodtemplate.html#service

check_command: 	This directive is used to specify the *short name* of
the command that Nagios will run in order to check the status of the
service. The maximum amount of time that the service check command can
run is controlled by the service_check_timeout option.

Looks like support for that usage has been removed.

--
Marc