DEPENDENCIES

Holger Weiss holger at CIS.FU-Berlin.DE
Wed Feb 8 18:16:44 CET 2006

* Deborah Martin <Deborah.Martin at Kognitio.com> [2006-02-08 16:40]:
> When the main database plugin check goes to warning or critical I want to
> suppress email notifications on the 3 remaining checks as there is no point
> in running these (they won't return anything useful apart from timeouts).
>
> However, this rarely happens. Usually, I get the main check email
> notification plus 1 other email notification from one of the dependencies
> (though it may not always be the same dependency)

Whether or not service dependencies work as expected depends on the
setting of soft_state_dependencies and your check intervals:

| Try reading the nagios docs on soft_state_dependencies. Then setting
|
| 	soft_state_dependencies=1
|
| in nagios.cfg.
|
| If A depends on B (aka no alert on A when B in trouble) make sure that:
|
| 	retry_check_interval(A) * max_check_attempts(A) >
| 		normal_check_interval(B)
|
| That should guarantee that at least one check of B occurs during the
| trouble interval for A. Without the soft_state_dependencies you must use:
|
| 	retry_check_interval(A) * max_check_attempts(A) >
| 		normal_check_interval(B) +
| 		(retry_check_interval(B) * max_check_attempts(B))
|
| to make sure that B goes into a hard state during the trouble interval
| of A.

[ http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=14420901 ]

This makes sure it should work in most cases (though in theory it can
still fail if the critical check of service B was delayed for some
reason).

Holger

PS: For host dependencies, a similar problem AFAICS cannot be solved
    without patching Nagios:
    http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=14641584

--
PGP fingerprint:  F1F0 9071 8084 A426 DD59  9839 59D3 F3A1 B8B5 D3DE