Nagios Behaviors

Todd Barbera todd_barbera at wgbh.org
Tue Feb 7 18:55:28 CET 2006

Kai Reese wrote:

>Hey.
>
>Maybe I'm missing the scope of things, but where are repetetive
>iterations of PING a problem when you work with templates? I'm working
>in a much smaller scope here than Mark and I've wondered about
>repetetive service-entries as well, but I've come to the conclusion
>that by using templates I can avoid most of the problems that these
>multiple entries create, even more so when -as I understand is your
>problem- the only thing that changes are the contacts.
>
>I would however see problems with an overhaul of the way things are
>addressed at this moment for matters of portability and upgradability.
>I would imagine the hassle of defining 25*10 services is less than
>migrating all your hosts and service-definitions to a new
>setup/layout.

Well, my thought was not to eliminate contacts from the services
definition, but rather make it optional and pass the contact info from
the host definition. This way I can create a single service for all or a
large chunk of hosts with different contacts. If for some reason I want
to exclude a user from a specific service on which they are a contact
for the host, I would then override the inheritance from the host
definition to use a specific contact or contact group. I don't have any
particular need to do this so it seems a bit redundant to me to have to
specify it within my service configuration which also causes me to
configure the same service checks depending upon who should have access
to them.

>Also, at this very moment, I'm wondering if services maybe support the
>'contact' entries, since they also do work with the (undocumented)
>hostgroup_name entries.
>Wouldn't that solve most of your problems? Did I misunderstand your
>problem at some point or is what I just wondered exactly the solution
>you were asking to be implemented?
>
>Kai

I wouldn't say it's a problem since I can work around it, but rather a
question as to why the implementation would not allow for this. Is there
a downside to making the contacts an inherited feature from the host and
having the contact option within the service definition become optional
rather than mandatory?

Todd