Reporting and misc rave.

John P. Rouillard rouilj at cs.umb.edu
Fri Feb 3 01:38:17 CET 2006

In message <D00B29FE26656E4783F128B118D8D43703B3AF6E at acexp001.portfolio.base>,
Stanley.Hopcroft writes:
>I am writing with mainly a rant about Graphing and Reporting.
>
><Mainly OT rant>

OT -> on topic in this case IMHO 8-).

>1 About graphing with Nagios
>Why would one bother when
>  1.1 Cacti does such a good job

Well cacti does a good job but I hate the thought of having to poll
using both cacti and nagios:

  it doubles the load on the network and the target system
  requires twice the setup and maintenance

I agree for snmp polling especially cacti is much better.
Autodiscovery of disks, network interfaces etc and all of that is very
nice.

I assume your solution for graphing is to use cacti to poll all the
devices for which you want to keep performance data (which in my case
would be everything 8-) so I can use holt-winters analysis).

>  1.2 Nagios could check the Cacti RRDs with either check_rrd, or by an
>  outboard (Cron scheduled) RRD poller that submits passive service
>  check results

I had problems trying to get check_rrd to work. I was having problems
finding the perl modules it needed IIRC.

>  1.3 the graphs can be associated with Nag service checks by either
>
>   - explict URL of the Cacti graph in the service check output
>
>   - for the adventurous, a Wiki front end that displays some of the
>     Nag CGI service status and a link to the Cacti graph.

You forgot a couple: use the "Extra Service Actions" link on the
Service Information page to link to cacti for the host using a link
like:

  http://cacti.my.server/cacti/graph_view.php?action=preview&filter=monitored_host

A second way is available due to a patch I got added to nagios.  If the
page footer and header are executable, they are executed (as a cgi)
when the page loads and can be used to load graphs/menus
etc. automatically based on service, host, user or other CGI
variable.

As a demo I used drraw to create nice dashboard and plot different data
items from separate rrd's (e.g. a graph of all ping times to all hosts
at a single site and a second network throughput graph displayed nice
and large together on a single page) for easy analysis. It was displayed
anytime I went to the PingCheck page for a couple of hosts.

>  As a footnote, since Cacti supports RRD 1.2 with built-in supported

Hmm, must have missed that last I knew it only supported the 1.1
series.  Cool thanks for the update.

>  Holt Winters forecasting RRAs, the poller could be smart and simply
>  check the exception Data store to see if the current rate is in fact
>  outside the normal seasonal variation (computed by the Holt Winters
>  algorithm inside the RRD).

Yup my idea exactly. Use nagios to monitor for worst case (e.g. ping
time > 1 second) and put the nagios data into rrd's to use the
Holt-Winters forecasting to look for early signs of a problem before
they trigger the nagios thresholds.

>2 About reporting
>
>After writing a lot of code in Nagios::Report to extract and report on
>Nagios availability data it occurs to me that a better way of doing
>Reporting is to
>
>  2.1 put the availability data in a DB table (prob with an
>auto-incremented index)

What would be nice is a sqlite <http://www.sqlite.org/> datastore and
event broker. Low maintenance requirements, no server to configure, has
most of SQL 92 implemented.

>  2.2 use either
>    2.2.1 ad-hoc SQL queries, or
>    2.2.2 the reporting package of your choice (eg iReport)
>
>I hope that Nagios::Report will be enhance to take advantage of
>DBD::Ram, a Perl module that very easily gets a CSV file with LWP and
>sticks it in an in core DB that can almost as easily be used as a
>Data source to insert rows into the DB of your choice (MySQL, or
>whatever).

Neat idea. Could use: DBD-SQLite-1.11 as the back end too. Sadly I
don't see much for reporting tools for SQLite. However it does have
ODBC and JDBC connectors and a bunch of bindings for tcl/tk, perl,
python, ruby etc. SQLite is a nice "throw away" database easy to set
up, load, query and destroy.

></Mainly OT rant>

Not off topic as far as I am concerned. It all deals with effective use
of nagios to monitor the network.

				-- rouilj
John Rouillard