FW: Service Check Timed Out Error

Kaplan, Andrew H. AHKAPLAN at PARTNERS.ORG
Fri Dec 29 17:05:06 CET 2006

The initial error message that I was getting, both onscreen and from the
nagios.log file, was Service Check Timed out. As an experiment I reconfigured
the nrpe client and check_nrpe plugin to not use SSL by including the -n option
in both cases. The error message that I am now getting is NRPE: Unable to read
output.

I stopped the Nagios server daemon and cleaned everything out of the var
directory, which in this case was the /var/log/nagios directory. I then
restarted the nagios server, and new error message reappeared. I then stopped
the nagios server and nrpe clients and reconfigured both to use SSL by removing
the -n option. Then I activated the nrpe client and then the nagios server. The
error message I then got was socket timeout after 10 seconds.

________________________________

Sent: Fri 12/29/2006 10:40 AM
To: Kaplan, Andrew H.
Cc: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] FW: Service Check Timed Out Error

My apologies, I'm suffering from a 60-minute lag on SourceForge's
mailing list for some reason - I'd got 2 replies from David before this
so it looked like you hadn't copied the list in.

Sorry!

Now onto this e-mail...

> As far as the client is concerned, nrpe is not being run via xinetd, it is
being
> run as a standalone daemon. This is command syntax that is used for
> running the daemon:
>
> /usr/local/nagios/bin/nrpe -c /usr/local/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg -d
>
> The user account running the daemon is nagios. This account has its own
> home directory, password, and uses the /bin/bash shell.
>
> As far as the server is concerned, nrpe is not present in xinetd, but does
have
> a startup script in the /etc/init.d directory. It is currently not turned on,
> but it can be if so needed.

As long as check_nrpe server-side can talk to nrpe client-side, you
should be OK.
> The version of NRPE on the server is 2.5.1, and this is the package that came
> bundled with the operating system which is Fedora Core 5.
> The version of NRPE on the client is also 2.5.1. The difference between that
on
> the server and client is that the client was compiled from source. Also, even
> though the client version is 2.5.1, according to the tar file that I
downloaded
> from the Nagios website, the version is supposedly 2.5.2.

If you can run check_nrpe from the server as the Nagios user and you're
getting a valid response back OK, it seems Nagios is refusing to run the
plugin and get it's output correctly.
What is the actual error reported in Nagios?

Also try: shut Nagios down, clear out the "/usr/local/nagios/var"
folder, and re-start Nagios - you'll lose any previous states (if you
use the keep state functions) but it'll force Nagios to re-build it's
objects cache and re-check the services - if you're still getting the
error after that, something strange is amiss.

Regards,

Andy.

THE INFORMATION TRANSMITTED IN THIS ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATION IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE PERSON OR ENTITY TO WHOM IT IS ADDRESSED AND MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR PRIVILEGED MATERIAL.  ANY REVIEW, RETRANSMISSION, DISSEMINATION OR OTHER USE OF OR TAKING OF ANY ACTION IN RELIANCE UPON, THIS INFORMATION BY PERSONS OR ENTITIES OTHER THAN THE INTENDED RECIPIENT IS PROHIBITED.  IF YOU RECEIVED THIS INFORMATION IN ERROR, PLEASE CONTACT THE SENDER AND THE PRIVACY OFFICER, AND PROPERLY DISPOSE OF THIS INFORMATION.