FW: Service Check Timed Out Error

Fri Dec 29 16:40:47 CET 2006

My apologies, I'm suffering from a 60-minute lag on SourceForge's
mailing list for some reason - I'd got 2 replies from David before this
so it looked like you hadn't copied the list in.

Sorry!

Now onto this e-mail...

> As far as the client is concerned, nrpe is not being run via xinetd, it is being
> run as a standalone daemon. This is command syntax that is used for
> running the daemon:
>
> /usr/local/nagios/bin/nrpe -c /usr/local/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg -d
>
> The user account running the daemon is nagios. This account has its own
> home directory, password, and uses the /bin/bash shell.
>
> As far as the server is concerned, nrpe is not present in xinetd, but does have
> a startup script in the /etc/init.d directory. It is currently not turned on,
> but it can be if so needed.

As long as check_nrpe server-side can talk to nrpe client-side, you
should be OK.
> The version of NRPE on the server is 2.5.1, and this is the package that came
> bundled with the operating system which is Fedora Core 5.
> The version of NRPE on the client is also 2.5.1. The difference between that on
> the server and client is that the client was compiled from source. Also, even
> though the client version is 2.5.1, according to the tar file that I downloaded
> from the Nagios website, the version is supposedly 2.5.2.

If you can run check_nrpe from the server as the Nagios user and you're
getting a valid response back OK, it seems Nagios is refusing to run the
plugin and get it's output correctly.
What is the actual error reported in Nagios?

Also try: shut Nagios down, clear out the "/usr/local/nagios/var"
folder, and re-start Nagios - you'll lose any previous states (if you
use the keep state functions) but it'll force Nagios to re-build it's
objects cache and re-check the services - if you're still getting the
error after that, something strange is amiss.

Regards,

Andy.