GroundWork Monitor and GroundWork Foundation

Peter Edmonds termx23 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 13:24:39 CET 2006

On 12/29/06, John Giaccotto <john.giaccotto at adeptra.com> wrote:

> Has anyone evaluated either GroundWork Monitor Open Source or GroundWork
> Monitor Professional?

If you want an easy way to evaluate Groundwork Monitor Open Source, I would
suggest using Rich Trezza's excellent VMWare appliance from
http://richard.trezza.us/vmach/index.html

The VM is based on Fedora Core 4 and contains a complete setup of Groundwork
Monitor Open Source. If you add PNP (PNP is not Perfparse) from
http://ederdrom.de/doku.php/nagios/pnp_en you will get integrated RRD
graphing of plugin performance data (i.e. CPU utilization, disk space,
network interface utilization). For SNMP I use the plugins from
http://www.manubulon.com/nagios/

For instructions on integrating PNP with GWKM, see
http://www.groundworkopensource.com/community/forums/viewtopic.php?t=528

Using the VM has definite advantages over a dedicated installation - with
the VM someone else (no less than Rich Trezza from Groundwork itself) has
done all the hard work of installing all the various packages and making
sure they work. You can shut down Nagios, make a backup copy of the VM and
then apply patches/upgrades/new packages etc. If you break something, simply
roll back to the backup copy. This has saved me more than once.

Groundwork have done a great job of the configuration GUI for Nagios. Adding
new hosts, services, plugins etc is very straightforward. Grouping services
into "Profiles" allows you to add a new host with a bunch of services in one
hit.

If you need any help with Groundwork Monitor or PNP, just yell.

Peter