GroundWork Monitor and GroundWork Foundation

Jason Byrns jason-sourceforge at microlnk.net
Thu Dec 28 15:27:12 CET 2006

> Has anyone evaluated
> either GroundWork Monitor Open Source or GroundWork Monitor
> Professional?

I have used Nagios for many years, ever since before it was called
Nagios.  It's my preferred open-source monitoring solution.

I've also put a lot of time over the years into looking for GUI
interface options for Nagios.  I, myself, live all day in VI, and I
rarely even have X11 installed on my servers.  But for others I work
with, novice-friendly web interfaces can be real nice.

That being said, I like what Groundwork has done a lot.  I only
discovered what they were doing in the last 6-12 months.  Before that, I
was generally not satisfied with the quality and features of Nagios GUI
options.

I've been using the open-source version of Groundwork's package, the
latest stable version.  (4.5.11, I believe)  It made it VERY easy to set
up a new server and install all required software.  (One big RPM
package, mainly)

I was also greatly impressed with the quality of the GUI itself.  It
seems to give easier options for setting up some things, as well as
nicer security access options.

I highly recommend anyone trying to set up Nagios consider the
open-source Groundwork package.  For Nagios veterans, well, I'd probably
still recommend it about as highly!  ;)

   Is anyone using GroundWork Foundation (
> http://www.groundworkopensource.com/products ) with Nagios?  Any
> thoughts on the company or their product would be appreciated.

Not familiar with the Foundation stuff, no.

--
Jason Byrns
Production Manager