Nagios Strategies

John P. Rouillard rouilj at cs.umb.edu
Wed Dec 27 22:46:46 CET 2006

In message <3c4611bc0612271234s3be5e945oea748ebffbfc6761 at mail.gmail.com>,
"Brian Loe" writes:
>On 12/27/06, John P. Rouillard <rouilj at cs.umb.edu> wrote:
>Let me summarize my response to this excellent post: I'm working on
>the same sort of thing, using SEC more so than Nagios -

The rule engine I was talking about is the integration of SEC into the
active event stream in Nagios.

>and not in nearly as advanced a way as you are.

Be happy about that 8-). I used to have hair.

>I have little input or control on
>our applications (I think I'm probably happy about that).

Yeah. I know that feeling. It's a mixed blessing. I have some patches
to webinject that help when using nagios with http/xml based queries.
However trying to get inside application especially the large
enterprise apps (java based or not) is tough.

For java at least jconsole may provide some instrumentation at the jvm
level and that could be helpful.

>> My employers don't acknowledge my existence much less my opinions.
>
>In your case at least, this would seem to be a bad decision on their part. :)

LOL. That is actually a hold over from prior employers. I am happy to
say that my current employer and U-Mass Boston who I use as my
permanent email address both acknowledge my existence. However my
opinions are my own.

				-- rouilj
John Rouillard