Performance issues, too

Robert Hajime Lanning lanning at lanning.cc
Mon Dec 25 11:27:42 CET 2006

<quote who="Daniel Meyer">
> Just rechecked. After 72 hours nagios still runs perfectly
> with an average service check latency of 0.3 seconds, max.
> 0.9 seconds.
>
> Memory usage is perfectly "flat" now, with epn and perlcache
> it went from 140 mb (whole system) to about 900 mb within 24h.
>
> The average system load is a bit _lower_ than before, but some
> peaks higher than with epn/perlcache.
>
> I'll try pure epn without perlcache first thing in january.

The main reason for me to use ePN with perlcache, is to get
around the huge load of loading all the MIBs for each SNMP
query.  (Since 90% of my services are SNMP queries.)  I was
looking for a way to load the MIB tree once, and found I could
do it in p1.pl.

For traps, I run snmptrapd (from net-snmp) and have just recently
found it has a memory leak.  Over the course of 20 days, it grew
from 5MB to 140MB.  It runs snmptthandler, which is actually a C
program (I ported the Perl version to reduce the load during trap
floods).

snmptt has a big memory leak.  I restart it every 6 hours.

This seems to be pointing to the net-snmp libraries.

Though, I don't get why it would really effect the nagios master
process.  Since all the calls to the SNMP module are run in a
subprocess, other than the initialization that I put into p1.pl.
Unless p1.pl is executed more than once.

Back when I had about 200 service checks, my load was about 1.5.
Then I enabled ePN with perlcache and stuck in the "use SNMP"
with the preload of the MIBs.  Load went down to 0.3.  But, as
I added services, most SNMP, this issue showed up.

--
And, did Galoka think the Ulus were too ugly to save?
                                         -Centauri