Nagios Strategies

Brian Loe knobdy at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 02:31:13 CET 2006

I'm not sure on the ease, but it seems like it should be doable now
for any service/application for which you can run a Nagios check
against. The parent being the system (ping?), the next some base OS
subsystem, next the app that depends on it (log file checks or some
other homegrown verification), etc.. Right? Or am I over-simplifying
the issue?

I do this, as do a lot of us I'm sure, in a very simple form now.
Nagios checks that my cacti server is up by checking the host, apache
then the cacti log - and they appear that way on the map as well.