Nagios Strategies

Josh Yost Josh.Yost at epsiia.com
Fri Dec 22 01:05:22 CET 2006

Hi,
	Just my quick two cents - I've seen several times on our servers
(mostly on Windows 2000) that the SNMP service will be shown as running
even though the actual process has stopped responding.  Then, we get a
flood of pages for all of our checks dependent on SNMP and have to
manually kill and restart the service.

If you're going to do a generic SNMP check, just make sure it's actually
pulling a value from SNMP because a simple NT check to see if the
service is in the running state isn't very reliable.

(we aren't actually using service deps. yet, but it's something I'm
getting around to since we're in the same boat as you =)).

- Josh