/var/cache/nagios2 permissions / ownership

Dhawal Doshy dhawal at netmagicsolutions.com
Thu Dec 21 17:38:10 CET 2006

Hello List,

I have been using nagios on redhat and clones for about 4 years and this
is my first debian (sarge) install. I happily installed nagios2 from
sarge backports and expected things to work just fine. However the
web-ui cgis kept complaining of "error: unable to read object
configuration data.. " making me feel like a newbie all over again ;-)

A 'nagios -v nagios.cfg' led to no errors, the logs seems perfect as
well with no errors at all.. which made me point things to the 'object
data storage' which is '/var/cache/nagios2'

The default permission / ownership on this directory are:

myhost:/etc/nagios2# stat /var/cache/nagios2/
   File: `/var/cache/nagios2/'
   Size: 4096            Blocks: 8          IO Block: 4096   directory
Device: 305h/773d       Inode: 160653      Links: 2
Access: (2750/drwxr-s---)  Uid: (  104/  nagios)   Gid: (   33/www-data)

Changing to a 0755 appears to have solved the problem, but now my
question is: What should be the permissions / ownership of this folder
considering apache2 (running as www-data) is the webserver? i'll
appreciate any debian users helping me out with this (debian not being
my distro of regular use)..

tia,
- dhawal