big performance issue with Nagios 2.5

Darren Dunham ddunham at taos.com
Mon Dec 11 19:37:59 CET 2006

> <quote who="Daniel Meyer">
> > So, whats the issue? When i came back into the office this
> > morning i found nagios having a service check latency of about
> > 350 sec (maximum and also average). I've had this last week to,
> > and its "fixed" by simply restarting the nagios daemon.

> That is interesting.  I have 2.5 running on an Sun E250 with Sol8.
> I have a constant CPU utilization of 45% in kernel.  Constant load
> average of 2 - 2.5.  (with two CPUs)
>
> This is for 83 hosts and 693 services, with 3 minute intervals.
>
> Service latency will jump to 300's after about 3 days.  I have a
> cron job that restarts Nagios twice a week.  I have scheduling
> not carried across restarts.
>
> My theory is that Solaris is having issues forking all the checks.
> Does anyone know if Solaris does "copy on write" for the process
> memory when forking?  I use a lot of ePN checks.

It does COW in a lot of situations, but most of the time you follow up
with an exec, so almost no writes occur before a new process overwrites
it anyway.  Also, there's no way that a normal fork is going to be
contributing more than an insignificant amount to a 350 second delay.

At 45% system CPU, something else is occuring.  Is the machine out of
memory and swapping?  Is one of the scripts fork bombing or respawing a
single child that exits rapidly?  (I might use 'top' and watch how fast
the 'last PID' is increasing.)

--
Darren Dunham                                           ddunham at taos.com