big performance issue with Nagios 2.5

Daniel Meyer eagle at cyberdelia.de
Mon Dec 11 08:33:19 CET 2006

Hi everyone,

i've ran into a somewhat anoying issue with nagios. First, this is my
setup:

- Dual Xeon 2.8 HT server running an up to date CentOS 4.4, nagios 2.5
(rpm from Dag Wieers) and checking approx. 285 hosts and 1500 services
- active host checks are off
- host check is replaced by a dummy shell script which just says "ok"
- approx. 15 services are critical, another 15 warning.

So, whats the issue? When i came back into the office this morning i found
nagios having a service check latency of about 350 sec (maximum and also
average). I've had this last week to, and its "fixed" by simply restarting
the nagios daemon.

I've set up some performance monitoring of nagios and the general linux
system, and this is what i see:

- The load goes up to 2-2.5 within 12h of nagios running (not the peaks,
but the 15 minute average)
- nagios runs fine for about 15-18 hours (not general numbers, but what
happened this weekend)
- no unusual notifications over the whole weekend

Any ideas where to look?
--
Q: Gentoo is too hard to install      =        http://www.cyberdelia.de
    and I feel like whining.           =             eagle at cyberdelia.de
A: Please see /dev/null.              =
       (from the gentoo installer FAQ) =                             \o/