timeouts and performance info

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Aug 30 15:21:15 CEST 2006

The timeouts above apply from when a particular plugin starts to when it
completes (check execution time). As noted below, this time on average
for you is 12.92 seconds. They don't affect when a plugin is scheduled
to run.

> Active Service Checks:
> <= 1 minute:	81 (4.6%)
> <= 5 minutes:	1719 (97.4%)
> <= 15 minutes:	1727 (97.9%)
> <= 1 hour:	1727 (97.9%)
> Since program start:  	1727 (97.9%)

This seems mostly normal for a 5 minute check_interval. The small
difference between the 5 and 15 minute counts is normal as checks may be
just starting to execute or still in progress at the 5 minute mark. It
does appear that you have some number of services that are not scheduled
for execution or are executing at really long intervals. Look at Service
Detail and sort by last check. Re-examine your configuration for those
services that do not appear to be scheduled properly.

> and
>
> Check Execution Time:  	0.00 sec	12.92 sec	0.275
sec
> Check Latency:		0.00 sec	204.30 sec	3.043
sec
> Percent State Change:	0.00%	15.46%	0.02%

Looks pretty good to me. The high max check latency number may have been
a one-off event. If that number regularly changes and is always very
high then you might want to verify that you're not starving nagios for
check by running /path/to/nagios/bin/nagios -s
/path/to/nagios/etc/nagios and make sure you meet or exceed it's
recommended values.

> Active Hosts Checks:
> <= 1 minute:	0 (0.0%)
> <= 5 minutes:	3 (1.2%)
> <= 15 minutes:	3 (1.2%)
> <= 1 hour:	4 (1.6%)
> Since program start:  	27 (10.8%)
>
> and
>
> Check Execution Time:  	0.02 sec	10.05 sec	0.208
sec
> Check Latency:		0.00 sec	17.48 sec	0.204
sec
> Percent State Change:	0.00%	0.00%	0.00%

These look normal and expected. You've had 27 service failures since
program start necessitating host checks.

> Am I the only one seeing a discrepancy here?

The only discrepancy I see is likely due to configuration. You probably
have check intervals or timeperiods misconfigured for ~30 services.

> The only way I can make sense of this is that the "<= 15 minutes"
> means "time from being scheduled to actually starting the
> plugin". In that case I wonder what makes it take so long, the

Check Latency is that number. On average nagios is able to run your
checks within 3.043 seconds of when they are scheduled to run. The
number you are referring to is just a simple count of the number of
plugins that have been run in that time interval.

--
Marc