timeouts and performance info

Tobias Klausmann klausman at schwarzvogel.de
Wed Aug 30 09:54:39 CEST 2006

Hi!

I have the following values in my nagios.cfg:

service_check_timeout=60
host_check_timeout=30
event_handler_timeout=30
notification_timeout=30
ocsp_timeout=5
perfdata_timeout=5

As far as I know, those values are in seconds. What I wonder is
why I still have Service and Host Checks that take longer than
fifteen minutes to complete. This shouldn't be the case the way I
under stand it. Here's my curren perf info:

Active Service Checks:
<= 1 minute:	81 (4.6%)
<= 5 minutes:	1719 (97.4%)
<= 15 minutes:	1727 (97.9%)
<= 1 hour:	1727 (97.9%)
Since program start:  	1727 (97.9%)

and

Check Execution Time:  	0.00 sec	12.92 sec	0.275 sec
Check Latency:		0.00 sec	204.30 sec	3.043 sec
Percent State Change:	0.00%	15.46%	0.02%

Active Hosts Checks:
<= 1 minute:	0 (0.0%)
<= 5 minutes:	3 (1.2%)
<= 15 minutes:	3 (1.2%)
<= 1 hour:	4 (1.6%)
Since program start:  	27 (10.8%)

and

Check Execution Time:  	0.02 sec	10.05 sec	0.208 sec
Check Latency:		0.00 sec	17.48 sec	0.204 sec
Percent State Change:	0.00%	0.00%	0.00%

Am I the only one seeing a discrepancy here?

The only way I can make sense of this is that the "<= 15 minutes"
means "time from being scheduled to actually starting the
plugin". In that case I wonder what makes it take so long, the
machine should be beefy neough (dual PIV Xeon 2.8Ghz, 2G of RAM).

Any hints/thoughts are appreciated.

Regards,
Tobias