CHECK_NRPE: Received 0 bytes from daemon. Check the remote server logs for error messages

Andy Shellam andy.shellam-lists at mailnetwork.co.uk
Wed Aug 30 13:59:21 CEST 2006

By default on NRPE you are not allowed to use commandline arguments,
that is - passing something like "check_nrpe -H debianserver -p 5666 -c
check_ping!$HOSTADDRESS$", and having in your nrpe.cfg
"command[check_ping]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_ping -H $ARG1$".

This is dangerous in that a client connecting to the daemon could
execute an aribitrary command against check_ping (consider this: a
hacker sends "127.0.0.1 && rm -rf /" as an argument to check_ping, and
your system will execute "/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_ping -H
127.0.0.1 && rm -f /")

Therefore command arguments are disabled in NRPE by default, so you
would have to hard-code your checks on the local machine. (e.g.
command[check_ping]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_ping -H localhost),
and simply use "check_nrpe -H debianserver -p 5666 -c check_ping".

If you are aware of the danger, have applied appropriate connection
limitations (i.e. firewalling, changing nrpe port, only allowing certain
IPs to connect) and want to use command arguments, then you have to add
an extra command to the ./configure line of the NRPE on the client and
enable a command argument setting in nrpe.cfg. You'll have to read
nrpe.cfg for the details as I cannot remember off-hand what they are.

Andy.