SNMP monitoring intelligence?

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Aug 29 16:44:50 CEST 2006

Int1
> is up and Int2 is down, that's ok.  If Int1 is down, but Int2 is up,
> that's a warning.  If both are down, that's critical.
>
> In addition, the interfaces may change per device (ie: on one router
it's
> an ethernet, on another is a serial).

We have the same kind of design challenge except we could have an
arbitrary number of interfaces on a router to check, some we care about
and some we don't. We resolved it by 'marking' the interface
descriptions in a special way --

Loopback 7
	Description !~#2 <whatever else>
Serial 1/0
	Description !~@ <whatever else>
Serial 2/0
	Description <whatever else>
Serial 3/0
	Description !~@ <whatever else>

!~@ is used on interfaces that we are interested in watching.
!~#x is the total number of interesting interfaces I should see.

I then use snmpwalk to look through ifAlias looking for either. Once
that's done I look at ifOperStatus for each interface marked !~@ for
status. If one is down I append it to the plugin output. Once through I
compare the total seen to the total expected to account for instances
where a card can fail completely. We always exit critical but could exit
on warning if an arbitrary number of interfaces were down. This works
for every interface type I've been interested in except for ISDN
(serial, ether, faste, etc).

--
Marc