escalation/notification question

Jeff Williams jeffwilliams05 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 13:52:06 CEST 2006

If I have a host called viper with the following definitions, I'm wondering
why the group admins gets warning notifications for the service "DISK /"
after the first notification. To me, these definitions say that admins
should get no more than 5 notifications and no warning notifications after
the first one. Am I wrong in thinking that? In testing this, the admins
group got at least 8 warning notifications.

> [...]
> >         use                       generic-host
> >         host_name                 viper
> >         alias                     viper
> >         address                   127.0.0.1
> >         parents                   localhost
> >         check_command             check-host-alive
> >         notification_interval     0
> >         notification_options      d,r
> >         notification_period       never
> >         contact_groups            admins
> > }
> >
> > service definition
> > define service{
> >         use                           generic-service
> >         host_name                     viper
> >         service_description           DISK /
> >         is_volatile                   0
> >         check_period                  24x7
> >         retry_check_interval          1
> >         contact_groups                admins
> >         notification_interval         5
> >         notification_period           24x7
> >         notification_options          w,u,c,r
> >         check_command                 check_nrpe!check_disk1
> > }
> >
> > escalation definition
> > define serviceescalation{
> >         host_name                     viper
> >         service_description           DISK /
> >         first_notification            2
> >         last_notification             2
> >         notification_interval         5
> >         contact_groups                admins
> >         escalation_options            c,r
> > }
> > define serviceescalation{
> >         host_name                     viper
> >         service_description           DISK /
> >         first_notification            3
> >         last_notification             4
> >         notification_interval         5
> >         contact_groups                admins
> >         escalation_options            c,r
> > }
> > define serviceescalation{
> >         host_name                     viper
> >         service_description           DISK /
> >         first_notification            5
> >         last_notification             0
> >         notification_interval         0
> >         contact_groups                admins
> >         escalation_options            c,r
> > }
> >

> > Contactgroup:
> >
> > define contactgroup{
> >         contactgroup_name       admins
> >         alias                   Nagios Administrators
> >         members                 nagios
> >         }
> >

>    Contacts:

> define contact{
>         contact_name                    nagios
>         alias                           Nagios Admin
>         service_notification_period     24x7
>         host_notification_period        24x7
>         service_notification_options    w,u,c,r
>         host_notification_options       d,r
>         service_notification_commands   notify-by-email
>         host_notification_commands      host-notify-by-email
>         email                           email at domain.com
>         }
>

> The group "admins" should get warnings, but since the escalation file says
> only go past original notification for critical and recovery, shouldn't I
> just get 1 warning notification or 2 at most?

Also, here are the generic-host and generic-service definitions. I forgot to
include those before as well.

define host{
        name                            generic-host    ; The name of this
host template
        check_interval                  0
        max_check_attempts              2
        notifications_enabled           1       ; Host notifications are
enabled
        event_handler_enabled           1       ; Host event handler is
enabled
        flap_detection_enabled          1       ; Flap detection is enabled
        failure_prediction_enabled      1       ; Failure prediction is
enabled
        process_perf_data               1       ; Process performance data
        retain_status_information       1       ; Retain status information
across program restarts
        retain_nonstatus_information    1       ; Retain non-status
information across program restarts
        register                        0       ; DONT REGISTER THIS
DEFINITION - ITS NOT A REAL HOST, JUST A TEMPLATE!
        }

define service{
        name                            generic-service ; The 'name' of this
service template
        max_check_attempts              2
        normal_check_interval           5
        active_checks_enabled           1       ; Active service checks are
enabled
        passive_checks_enabled          1       ; Passive service checks are
enabled/accepted
        parallelize_check               1       ; Active service checks
should be parallelized (disabling this can lead to major performance
problems)
        obsess_over_service             1       ; We should obsess over this
service (if necessary)
        check_freshness                 0       ; Default is to NOT check
service 'freshness'
        notifications_enabled           1       ; Service notifications are
enabled
        event_handler_enabled           1       ; Service event handler is
enabled
        flap_detection_enabled          1       ; Flap detection is enabled
        failure_prediction_enabled      1       ; Failure prediction is
enabled
        process_perf_data               1       ; Process performance data
        retain_status_information       1       ; Retain status information
across program restarts
        retain_nonstatus_information    1       ; Retain non-status
information across program restarts
        register                        0       ; DONT REGISTER THIS
DEFINITION - ITS NOT A REAL SERVICE, JUST A TEMPLATE!
        }

Anyone have any insight on this? I haven't been able to figure out why this
shouldn't work. Thanks.

Jeff